Wednesday 23 February 2011

Blog Start!

Something that has come up again and again in my own reflection in teaching practice is how little time we take to share the great things we're doing with other people, whether it be other teachers or parents. As an educator, I am always looking for new and interesting ways to effectively pass on information to students, but it's tough to stop and talk sometimes when there's always so much going on at school.

This blog will be primarily for parents, but with any luck it'll be useful for teachers as well. My hope is to show the difference between "old math and new math", giving authentic examples and solutions from classes at Lawfield Elementary in Hamilton, Ontario. I'll also make sure to share math puzzles and problems on the site that parents can share with their children. Post the answers you come up with together!

I hope you find it interesting and can use the information to help guide your kids towards math thinking at home, and I hope that I can share some ideas with other educators. Talk about what you see with your colleagues! Discussion amongst teachers is what puts true value to a strategy.

Don't be afraid to think about math in new ways, and if you have anything to share, please post to comments.

You're going to see a rush of new posts and information as I get things started around here!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment